Sebastião Salgado's latest work, Amazônia, spans seven years of photographs taken while the artist immersed himself in the far corners of the Brazilian Amazon. Through striking images of forests, rivers, mountains, and the people who live there, the artist highlights the fragility of the region's ecosystems.
This body of work is being exhibited in Paris at concurrent exhibitions, of which one is an immersive, experiential installation at the Philharmonie de Paris. Curated by Lélia Wanick-Salgado (Salgado's wife), the show features 200 photographs, giant projections, and an original score by Jean-Michel Jarre, often referred to as the "Godfather of Electronic Music," using sounds from the forest. Through these powerful images, Sebastião and Lélia Salgado, with whom he worked closely on the project, hope to prompt the thinking and actions urgently needed to protect this inestimable heritage of humanity.
Organized in tandem is an exhibition at the Polka Galerie that brings together unpublished prints as well as a selection made in close collaboration with the photographer and Wanick-Salgado.
- CNN: profile (July 16, 2021)
- Guardian: "Paradise Exists!" (June 21, 2015)
- Port: edited excerpt from the book Amazônia by Salgado (June 23, 2021)
- Mongabay "Amazônia must live on" (May 20, 2021)
- EDM Identity: Listen to Jean-Michel Jarre's Amazônia soundtrack (April 10, 2021)
- Democracy Now!: Salgado conversation (May 26, 2020)
- Peter Fetterman Gallery: Salgado podcast (May 2, 2020)
- Photography Life: A Brief Meeting with Salgado (February 16, 2018)
- Smithsonian: profile (October 2015)
- POV: Salgado Q&A (June 18, 2015)
- New York Times: Salgado Q&A (March 23, 2015)
- NPR: Salgado Q&A (September 19, 2014)
All images © Sebastião Salgado, courtesy of the artist.
Bloomberg Quicktake: The Brazilian Amazon's Tipping Point May Already Be Here, September 28, 2021.
NASA: Tracking Amazon Deforestation, April 19, 2021.
CBS News: Complicit - The Amazon Fires, February 27, 2021.
FRANCE 24: Sebastião Salgado's Amazonian odyssey: Sights and sounds of the forest, June 29, 2021.
New Scientist: Sebastião Salgado's photographs show the beauty of Amazônia, June 9, 2021.
World Economic Forum: Davos Agenda - An Insight, An Idea with Sebastião Salgado, January 25, 2021.
Canon: In Conversation with Sebastião Salgado, November 10, 2015.
Beetles+Huxley: Interview with Sebastião Salgado, November 7, 2014.
UC Berkley: Sebastião Salgado | Migrations, October 24, 2011.