Coinciding with COP26, Jenny Holzer's HURT EARTH is a series of light projections appearing on landmarks across Glasgow from Nov. 8-11 and in pop-up locations throughout the city from Nov. 12-14. Holzer's new public work calls powerful attention to the climate crisis by deploying illuminated text featuring the words of 40 climate leaders, including Sir David Attenborough, Hilda Flavia Nakabuye, Vic Barrett, and Greta Thunberg. In the lead-up to COP26, the work appeared on the iconic chimney of London's Tate Modern.
Jenny Holzer is a conceptual artrist known for work that highlights social and political justice and invites public debate. Recent projects include YOU VOTE, a series to encourage voting in swing states during the 2020 US elections. With HURT EARTH, Holzer asks the public to make their voices heard and take action in the global fight against climate change.
HURT EARTH is co-curated and produced by Artwise Curators and Shore Art Advisory, the series is presented in collaboration with Art For Your World, a movement by WWF to engage the art world in the fight against climate change. The artwork includes excerpts of writings, testimonies, speeches, and interviews from climate leaders and activists across the globe, including Climate Vulnerable Forum, Fridays for Future, Indigenous Environmental Network, Institute for Climate and Sustainable Cities, US Climate Action Network, WWF, and many more.
- Jenny Holzer website
- Sprueth Magers on Holzer's Truisms
- Artland profile (December, 2020)
- Harpar's Bazaar profile (September 16, 2020)
- CNN profile (March 27, 2019)
- New York magazine profile (October 18, 20218)
- Guardian profile (September 17, 2018)
- New York Times profile (December 3, 1989)
- Wallpaper* article (May 1, 2021)
- Frieze review (June 6, 2001)
- Literary Hub interview (October 25, 2021)
- Newest York interview with Lili Holzer-Glier (June, 2018)
- Even interview (Fall, 2016)
- Interview magazine interview with Kiki Smith (March 26, 2012)
- The Gentlewoman interview (Spring/Summer, 2010)
- Smithsonian magazine interview (December 2007)
- Artforum interview (April, 2003)
All images HURT EARTH © 2021 Jenny Holzer, member Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY / DACS, UK.
Tate: Why I Love Jenny Holzer's Inflammatory Essays, June 18, 2018.
Art Basel: Artist Talk | Trevor Paglen and Jenny Holzer, March 29, 2016.
Art21: Jenny Holzer - Programming | "Extended Play", January 29, 2009.